Tody we went for a meal at my grandparents. My brother came as well. We were chatting about this and that, just like the many other times we came for visits and meals. At one point Oma disappeared and came back with one of her necklaces I once commented on. She wanted to give it to me so that I would not forget them. And all of a sudden a "normal" visit to Oma and Opas turned into a farewell visit... and I don't know if I will ever see them again here on earth... or next time my grandmother might not even recognize me anymore, as she's getting really forgetful... she asked us several times when we would leave again and where to. When it was finally time to say good bye my granddad started crying. I've never seen him crying ever in my life. It's so hard on them. Two of their sons (and their wives) live in America. 5 of my 6 cousins over there are married (none of my cousins on this side of the big pond are) and 5 of the 7 great grandchildren live over there. And now we move away with the only great grandchildren they had a chance to get to know... not knowing if they will ever see them again. Ned loved going to "Opaopa" and "Omaoma"... he'd always get some goodies (even though Mama was scolding with Opaopa) or would play with the vacuum cleaner or get out the box with old, broken toys of grandkids who are too old for them now.
Just thinking about my grandparents makes me cry and I dread going to the airport saying good bye to my parents, although it's slightly easier to do, because we plan on them visiting us "soon". I know I'll be fine soon again, but still... I hate saying good bye to them this time.
I wished beaming would truly exist. I wished I could split and be in two places the same time. I wished I could travel with light speed. I wished my bags were lighter....
And guess what... in a couple minutes time I will have my first chocolate in 4 months time... YAY... that for sure must make me feel better.
If you could spare a minute could you send up a quick prayer that all our zillion suitcases, boxes and bags will be checked in without any problems tomorrow?????
Bye bye Germany, bye bye spring




Oh man, Becca! Ich denk an euch!!!
ReplyDeleteHeike
Big hug Becca!
ReplyDeleteMissing family is truly the hardest part of the life we live.. especially when there are more and more generations.. sigh.
Praying for you (and the bags!).
just read this...and am crying...bec. i know how you feel and i can't do anything about it. love our oma & opa so much it just breaks my heart that i'm so far away from them.
ReplyDelete