Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kid's ministry!!!



Today I had the chance to go  out and help in a vocational bible school!! To be honest, doing kid's ministry REALLY is NOT my "thing", but still I was glad I had the chance to go. The bible camp today was outside and it wasn't raining, which was good, but it was extremy hot and sunny, which wasn't so good for me personally, because I felt like melting away. 
When the program eventually started they began with worship and singing. It was rather interesing, that they (the church running the vocational bible school) had prizes for the kids who praised God the best. Someone told me, that they also threatend the kids with some kind of punishment for those who didn't praise God good enough (I hope that wasn't true, as I didn't really praise God good enough in the Caribbean styl, which is... rather outgoing, loud and expressive... and slightly off key) It's a weird thought to get awarded if you praise God good enough on the outside and punished if you don't. Isn't it about a heart's attitude????
I know I'm a pediatric nurse and yesssss, I AM a mum, but still I feel very awkward with foreign kids. Others do it rather natural, just hang out with them, love them, have fun with them..... it isn't natural for me. I was happy I had a "job". I made balloon animals :o)))) and the kids loved them. My "speciality" was a laybird or a little turtle which you can attach to your wrist..... and it made me happy to see them happy this way (although there were those lovely little comments like:"NOOOO!! I don't want a blue one. I want a RED one", "Can I have pink one???? I don't want a green one!!!")
And despised the weird praising God rewards/punishments and feeling awkward, melting hot and sticky sweaty, I had a really awesome time. I loved those smiles on those pretty little faces and the sparkles in their eyes...... but best of all I loved the smile and sparkle of Ned's little face when i came back to the ship. Being a mum really makes you all weird and a wee bit guey inside :o))))

1 comment:

  1. Becca I understand completely. Well done for going and being good at doing balloon animals.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete