well, for the first time here in the Caribbean, we have a cruise liner parked (I should better say moored, because that the right word) next to us. And I'm shocked!!!!! I really don't want to be associated with a cruise liner and the guests aboard a cruise liner. I watched them invade Grenada. Sorry if i generalize a bit, I'm sure that there are many really nice people who are going on a cruise. Many of the men display their big (fat) beer bellies without bothering wearing a shirt and many of the ladies wear bikinis and maybe some short over them or a bikini and just atiny, little blouse. I mean hello... do you run around like that at home????? Somehow, behaviour like that doesn't show any respect to the cultures you're visiting with a cruise liner. I also saw behaviour like that from tourists in other places, and I am ashamed that many of those people are Germans. That's the picture many people in the Caribbean or other tourist places around the world have of Germans. Great!! I do like to see the nature and culture of the different places we have the privilege to visit with the Logos Hope, but I also want to respect them and not only "abuse" them for their nice beaches or other nice things... after all, we are ambassadors of Christ first of all!!!! That's WHY we are here and do what we are doing.... do I make any sense??? I'm not so sure if I was able to capture my feelings in words.... but it just upsets me. I guess that's one of the reasons why I strongly object if locals call us a cruise ship. Off course first of all we are NO cruise ship(but a GOSPEL and a book ship) but I also don't want to be associated with obnoxious tourist behaviour (maybe that word is a bit strong.... but well, I'm upset!!!) And i try my best to show love and respect to the people I meet (unfortunately I don't always succeed)
Monday, August 17, 2009
cruise liner
well, for the first time here in the Caribbean, we have a cruise liner parked (I should better say moored, because that the right word) next to us. And I'm shocked!!!!! I really don't want to be associated with a cruise liner and the guests aboard a cruise liner. I watched them invade Grenada. Sorry if i generalize a bit, I'm sure that there are many really nice people who are going on a cruise. Many of the men display their big (fat) beer bellies without bothering wearing a shirt and many of the ladies wear bikinis and maybe some short over them or a bikini and just atiny, little blouse. I mean hello... do you run around like that at home????? Somehow, behaviour like that doesn't show any respect to the cultures you're visiting with a cruise liner. I also saw behaviour like that from tourists in other places, and I am ashamed that many of those people are Germans. That's the picture many people in the Caribbean or other tourist places around the world have of Germans. Great!! I do like to see the nature and culture of the different places we have the privilege to visit with the Logos Hope, but I also want to respect them and not only "abuse" them for their nice beaches or other nice things... after all, we are ambassadors of Christ first of all!!!! That's WHY we are here and do what we are doing.... do I make any sense??? I'm not so sure if I was able to capture my feelings in words.... but it just upsets me. I guess that's one of the reasons why I strongly object if locals call us a cruise ship. Off course first of all we are NO cruise ship(but a GOSPEL and a book ship) but I also don't want to be associated with obnoxious tourist behaviour (maybe that word is a bit strong.... but well, I'm upset!!!) And i try my best to show love and respect to the people I meet (unfortunately I don't always succeed)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good thought and true
ReplyDelete