Thursday, June 16, 2011

But.. but... BUT it's June!!!

Coming from the Northern Hemisphere I always associated long days, sunshine, warmth, summer with June. I was happy to have two "summer babies" (although it wasn't really the best time of year to be pregnant.... well, on the other hand, at least I didn't have to squeeze my big belly in a big wintercoat). And now??? I AM FREEZING!!!! I think I wasn't as cold throughout the whole of the German winter just a couple of months back. The thing is, whereas in Germany you have warm houses thanks to central heating, here you don't. There you wrap up in zillions of layers once you head outside but once you come back home you peal them off again because it's nice and cosy inside. Well, we do have the blessing of a fire place in our present home, and oh how glad am I about this little fire place. It keeps the livingroom/kitchen/dinningroom area warm... but the rest of the house...brrrrrr. Our bedroom is at the other end and it is SO cold (and this is coming form the girl who slept with her windows open even in the middle of winter... okay, that was a crazy teenager phase of mine, but still). I also always wondered why there weren't any cloth rack stand things next to the door (which you'll find in every house in Europe, I'm sure), but I figured you don't need to have a cloth rack, because it's so cold inside so you keep your warm jacket on. I feel very odd wearing my all weather rain jacket inside, but that's what I do at times. Well, I'm not talking about minus temperatures, but sitting here with a wood fire in the same room and my fingers are pretty cold. And Winter only started, brrrrrrrr.... I dread the next couple of months.... brrrrrrr. And rain... I heard that they would love to have some rain in Germany, man we could ship you several loads full of rain. Last night the rainfall was so strong that I woke me up.
People also tent to wear normal shoes insides, whereas we are the kind of shoes-take-off-people. The other day Ben had a huge blob of dog poo on his shoes, and man was I glad that we take our shoes off inside. But even if it isn't dog poo, I have a little guy crawling around the floor, licking it, sticking all sorts of things in his mouth, and somehow adding streetwear to the equation doesn't sound to appealing to me... so I hope people aren't too offended if I make them take off their shoes when they visit us. So far I was too timid to do so though.... I guess it doesn't help that it's so cool inside. Well, I bought some nice warm slippers for myself.

My boys and the fireplace... and Hermie's watching as well, can you see her??

I finished memorizing chapter 1 of Ephesians and I'm as proud as can be. Some of it still doesn't make sense to me though, but at least I can ponder it now, because it's stored in my memory.
And I'm also very glad to report that I hardly miss diet coke at present. That almost shocks me, because I expected it to be so difficult, whereas it proofs to be quite achievable. I still haven't started doing exercise again though, I still have to get myself sorted out in this area, sigh... sometimes it is really hard to keep all your juggling balls up in the air to achieve a healthier lifestyle, but it is worth it, isn't it??

But besides me being constantly slightly cold, life is really good, and so is God. There were one or two occasions when I felt tempted to try out throwing a tantrum, but my better judgement won, and if God continues giving me a "WAIT" instead of a "YES" or a "NO", wait I patiently shall, without grumbling (okay, almost without grumbling... there was a tiny bit of grumbling... and said consideration of throwing a tantrum). Earlier in the evening I went for a little walk through the night (I just love going for walks/runs at night times) and I was amazed about the space. Somehow I feel I can "breath", I can't explain it, but everything seems wider and bigger... even the moon.
So, now I'll head of... maybe even to bed??? Who knows... 9:30pm IS a bit early to hit the sack :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment