Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Australian wildlife

Well, so far I've only seen a kangaroo in the animal park we visited the other day. And as koalas aren't native to Western Australia I haven't seen one roaming around either. Neither has an emu crossed my path in the wild yet. So in that aspect Australia has been a bit of a disappointment so far. On the other hand I also haven't encountered too many poisonous things, only one redback so far, so I should be grateful that the Aussie wildlife stays were it's suppose to stay: out, in the wild.
But well, there is some Aussie wildlife I actually think quite cute: Geckos. I wouldn't even mind having one in the shower, but my little gecko friend was a good little guy and actually lived where he was suppose to live: OUTSIDE. Anyway, so I found this little guy yesterday when I was sweeping the veranda. I was head over heels. He was pretty frightened. But I managed to grab the camera and get a shot which wasn't too blurry .


I thought him sooooo cute, but life can be SOOOO cruel. Today I was sweeping the carport and there is this pile of fridge cardboard boxes (yepp, you guessed it, the once from the labyrinth). I moved them out of my way and when I got ready to sweep, I found my little friend again. Dead. Killed by me. With a cardboard box. I felt so bad. He was such a cute little guy. But what could I do??? I've never heard of doing CPR to a gecko, so I told him R.I.P.
While continuing sweeping I thought about how weird human beings can be, I mean, getting upset about killing accidentally a little gecko whereas IF a spider came my way I'd gladly kill it without consideration. Not 2 minutes later said spider did come my way. It was a "baby" huntsmen and only around 5 or 6cm in diameter (I am told that they get so big up North that you can hear them walking over your vinyl floors), but that was big enough for me and BANG it got hit on its head with my broom and now it R.I.P.'s very close to the cute gecko.
Spiders just freak me, especially huntsmen as they take up their "defence" position and and lift up their front legs in defence (or attack???), it ain't no pretty sight and it gives me the creep and goosebumps all down my back. I am not arachnophobic, but I can't stand them. But here I am, dealing out death to God's wonderful and not so wonderful creation. If I like it or nor, He delights in geckos AND spiders... but I hope that doesn't mean that I have to start being delighted by spiders... and I also hope that the mama of the baby huntsmen doesn't lurk around somewhere close.

No comments:

Post a Comment