Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yesterday I went to the Christmas market. Well, actually I didn't really go there with the purpose of going there, but it happened to be on my way so I went through it. They have this big nativity scene there and of course Ned wanted to have a look. He loves the real size wooden cow as well as the donkey... and baby Jesus. Just when we stood there and almost finished admiring everything (we were on a mission, remember?? Feeding the ducks!) a woman approached me and started asking questions which surely were supposed to make me think about the true meaning of Christmas. She kept going on about that Jesus didn't stay a baby and what would I think if it was me that everyone always thought of as a baby and how does Jesus feel that we only celebrate him as a baby, but now he is the King of kings and the Lord of Lords... and things like that. To be honest, I was very affronted by her and just wanted to get going as fast as possible, and I am a believer of Christ. It is true, we put lots of focus on "BABY" Jesus at Christmas, but I don't know about you, when we celebrated Ned's birthdays I ALWAYS remember the day he did come as a helpless baby as well. We shouldn't stop with Christmas and think of Easter as well, but I think it is a good thing to celebrate that he came down to earth as one of us but yet still God, sinless amongst us sinners. I didn't want to talk with that woman, she was intimidating and I wonder how many none Christians will feel the same. So in theory it is a good thing what she's doing, trying to start conversation but the way she's doing it turned me very quickly away.. well, maybe she approaches other in different ways.

Today it is SUCH miserable weather... all the snows melting again and the streets look more like sludge rivers... and I had to run to the shops once more. I did my "BIG" shopping last week when we had some milder climate for a while and I was able to use our car... we still have our summer tires on so it's no great use in weather like this (due to some complications getting our winter tires... long story... hopefully soon our faithful car will also be ready for winter), but somehow we consume a LOT of fruit and veggies, so I had to run to ALDI to restock, luckilyALDI is very close by so I can walk there with the stroller.
So here we were in ALDI and IT ALWAYS seems to happen at the cash desk. Ned was great all the time shopping... well, up to the cash desk. Luckily there aren't any sweets or the likes at the check out at ALDI but still, the tantrums always happen when it is the MOST inconvenient time imaginable.
At ALDI they pride themselves that they are the fastest cashiers ever and it is very true!! In fact they are so fast, that you yourself get stressed out throwing the stuff back in the trolley fast enough, as they do NOT have an area behind the cashier for your goods to linger and wait while you pack them neatly back in. So this IS the most inconvenient time for toddler to throw a tantrum. And of course he must know... somehow.
Well when all our stuff was on that black rubber band conveyor belt thingy thing (you know what I mean...) Ned wanted to get off the kiddy board. Bad timing. He refused to get back on. I insisted. All the while we got closer to the cashier and I knew that soon I had to be very quick to get our then paid for goods into my bag and backpack... and a toddler freely roaming about is definitely NOT helpful. But your hands are tied in public, aren't they... he started screaming (just the thing in such a situation) and I didn't even really know what I was doing but all of a sudden I bit in his nose... not very obvious for others (obviously) and NOT very hard but hard enough to shock him and stop him screaming... but starting sobbing (great), Then he insisted on getting back on the kiddy board (which I had wanted just 2 min earlier) but by now I was desperately busy getting our stuff into my bags and off the cash desk where they were piling high already and the cashier was waiting for me to pay. He was wedged between the cash desk and the stroller until I was finished with my business and was able to clear off. I felt ashamed that I had lost my temper and was afraid that there were some bite marks on his nose (I honestly hadn't bitten him very hard). I took my little tyke in my arms and gave him a big cuddle and then we were fine again. To receive forgiveness without having to ask for it is such a great relieve because I felt quite aweful of having bitten his nose... although it really wasn't very hard or anything but still... you don't bit your kids nose in the supermarket... hang on you don't bite your kids nose where ever.... but... after all.. it was kind of effective... wasn't it?

So we go on with our normal daily life... and Ned has gotten SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better with his tantrums and I have gotten SOOOOOOOO much better with showing how much I love him in a way he can understand... but we aren't perfect yet, so there are still relapses into old patterns.

Somehow I often seem to forget that I do have actually TWO kids. Ced is such an easy going and comfortable and cozy baby.... my brother once said: "This guy will NEVER be hyper active!!! Never!!" He takes things slow and observes a LOT. Sometimes he just stares at someone without blinking. If you move his body he adjusts his head in order to be able to continue to stare at the same person. And he smiles a lot. Unfortunately he stops smiling as soon as you get close with your camera (most of the times, I have been lucky once or twice). He isn't interested in moving much yet, but he has started to turn form back to front at times. He also isn't interested in solids yet. The other day I thought I'd give it a go, but the look of disgust on his face was hilarious... unfortunately it forced lots of his milk to come out again. Great. I really wonder how this little guy can be so big as he spits and pukes so often.
But the days of toothless smile have ended, his first tooth has arrived, bottom front left and I expect the one on the right to come soon as well... somehow it makes me sad... my little baby grows up... so fast... sigh!! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment