Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Everything is just a liiiiitttle bit more complicated in winter!!

You know, some wise person once said: "There is no such thing as 'Bad Weather', there is only 'Bad Clothing'!!!"... or something along the line. And yes, in some sense that wise person was totally correct, isn't there anything more beautiful than to go for a wonderful winter walk surrounded by white where ever you look??? But the reality of winter is not so... uhm, romantic.

First of all, I DON'T have the right cloths so in my case it is "bad clothing"... at least, I don't really fit in it anymore (hmpf!!). The thing is, I can totally understand that things are a bit snug around midship, but how in the world were my FEET involved in being pregnant twice??? I mean, yes, they had to carry the extra weight, but that ain't no excuse to suddenly need a shoe size bigger and old shoes don't really fit no more. And what about the arms??? Yes, I know, they are busy carrying a gigantic baby around a lot but that doesn't really justify that they seem to be longer than they used to be (btw. that would only justify my right arm anyway as baby hardly ever gets carried on the left arm). Well my winter coat stops just a bit too soon, either it shrank or my arms grew... hmmm.

Another thing is that going for a walk takes forever... I don't mean the actual walk itself, but getting ready to go for a walk. I mean, in summer you grab your kiddos slap some sun cream on, put on a hat and maybe some sunnies and off you go. Well, in winter you first have to decide which kid you dress first -in my case I wrap up Cedric first-, so I stick him in some tights (yes, shocking, I know, but WARM, and I promise you Aussie people I won't stick none of my sons in tights Down Under, I know it's a big NO NO with you guys, but here it REALLY helps to keep them warm!) and after that I add another 3 or 4 layers and end it up with a beany on his head and stick him finally in a foot bag thing for the stroller. Understandably by now he is complaining a wee little bit. All you can see of him though is his face, everything is wrapped up and really warm.


So now the similar procedure with Ned (yess!!! He also wears tights, but I really promise you, I won't even pack them to take with us to Down Under) minus the bag thing, as he is walking. I would LOVE to add some gloves but unfortunately he GREATLY DISLIKES gloves and refuses to wear them. And finally it is only myself left to be dress for the great outdoors, trying to ignore the baby screaming and preventing the other one from falling down the stair or do similarly silly things and most of all hurry up. So finally, at least 1/2h later, we are ready to rock and roll. Ou well, but once we are past the dressing stage and on the road it isn't too bad; baby stops squealing once the stroller starts rolling and luckily Ned started to take a liking to his "Kiddy Board", which he did NOT before we left for the ship and refused to stand on it.




Next thing to destroy the winter romantic: IT IS COLD!!! REALLY COLD!!!Today I felt like having a brain freeze or something... it left like getting a headache from the outside. It also doesn't help that your toes start feeling funny once you stop walking for a little while... and your finger tips start doing funny things too. HOW do people survive something like -30C?????? (I guess they do have fitting appropriate cloths and shoes, which I don't... ).


And last but not least, you know that whole post about "Not because I want but because I can"-business??? Well, it seems like not only the freezing cold plays against me but also other evil forces: they fell down trees just along MY running path. In itself that would not really stop me from running, unfortunately they were busy along the path with biiig machinery and now the whole thing looks like several gigantic boars were busy digging up the path. Basically going running would be equal to taking a mud bath... ou how I love winter. So, so far I haven't started running again, being reluctant to jump in the mud and just go for it and let out the wild side in me... lately I thought it more preferablely to stay inside in our nice and warm and slowly Christmas-y looking flat.... but I WILL start running agin... I will.... and I will feel SO much better afterwards... especially once I've taken a shower and chipped of the mud....

No comments:

Post a Comment