Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I can only count to three...

... I've discovered just recently. The latest proof just happened on, or better just before, this little get-away trip to East Germany and Prague. I knew we'd be gone from Thursday afternoon until Monday afternoon, but my brilliant brain only counted: "Friday: one.... Saturday: twoooo.... Sunday: threeeee" and then it stopped counting. So we only had clothes for three days instead of four. Oh well, we SMELLED a bit on the way back home, but who cares :o)))
We had a really excellent time away. Although it didn't start out so nice:
  • on Thursday morning I went for a little walk with Ced in his carrying cloth and when I came back home down the hill, just outside our house, I managed to stumble over my very own feet and almost landed flat on my face, with Ced being a little Ced sandwich in between. PTL that I managed just in time to put my arms out to catch the fall in time, so only I was hurt, and not Ced. I really can't remember the last time I fell like that, normally one stumbles but always manages to not fall. Falling like a felled tree really isn't nice. During the brief moment of falling so many thoughts go through ones mind, it's amazing that there is so much space in ones brain to think all these thoughts in such a tiny moment. It also wasn't very nice that I wore slippers and got some minor but VERY painful injuries on the top of my foot, especially when you then wear closed shoes, which you normally wear when playing the tourist in foreign parts.
  • And Ben managed to get himself a nice expensive photo taken, although the main focus of the photo will be on our license number plate and not our faces.
But besides those starting hick-ups we had an awesome time. We stayed with friends in East Germany who normally live in Sydney (that Sydney in Australia, in case you wonder) so it was great to be able to catch up with them, especially meeting their REALLY cute and pretty daughter Rebekka (I wouldn't mind having her as a daughter-in-law some time in the future, hahaha)



After two days with them we headed off to Prague. For me, being European, it is so easy to forget, that there is still a border between the countries of the European Union and that you actually need a passport (or ID in my case). We almost forgot to bring Ben's passport, almost, but not quite :o))))
I am not a big fan of GPS, but honestly I wished to have one in Prague, or a good map. But we only had a lousy print out which didn't help very much and we got pretty much lost, BUT we made it to our hotel without too much delay. And finding it without a good map or GPS makes one feel really good and brilliant :o)))
Of course after checking-in in the early afternoon we soon headed off to down town Prague. There are SO many tourists, it is overwhelming and a thought slowly formed in my head (I could hardly believe myself), to get up after Ced's early morning feed and head to town at like 5am. And we really did. I got up early to go to town, ME, can you believe it???? But true, after we had dinner in the old city (and Ced puked all over Ben when I was quickly on the toilet, hahahaha) we went home for an early night and got up and ready and sat in the tram to town by 5:15am. And it was SOOOOOOOO worth it, no tourists, unless you count a couple of drunken left over tourists, and a beautiful sunrise. After that we went to bed again though :o))) (unfortunately they were renovating this "communism"-style hotel and when we tried to catch up on sleep they were hammering and drilling away... made me feel like being back on the Hope back in the days in Trogir)
Unfortunately my foot really hurt. Additionally to the injuries on the top of my foot, I had some painful blisters because silly me insisted on wearing her brand new shoes. AUTSCH!!! Soo, what did I learn in this weekend away???
  1. learn to count to four
  2. don't stumble over your own feet just before a trip away... as a matter of fact, don't stumble and fall at all
  3. NEVER wear new shoes for a city trip
  4. always do the touristy thing very early in the morning which results in nice lighting and no other tourists to bother you
  5. take proper road/city map with you or a GPS when going to Prague, they really do not believe in road signs


2 comments:

  1. you do a great story becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures almost made me cry... Bekka looks like a darling, and man, I *love* that city. You captured some beautiful shots there. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete