Friday, October 21, 2011

Today was a good day

In the last couple weeks/months I had so many hard/challenging/maddening/flipping days. Sometimes (I hate to admit it) I didn't want to be with my boys anymore, wished I could go back to work, put them in day care and let someone else handle those tantrums and stuff. Tantrums are SO draining, physically and emotionally. And because they are so loud and overpowering they make you forget all the good times you've had. I am guilty of focusing on the negative forgetting what gorgeous, adorable, clever and fun boys they are.
But today was such a good day. I suppose those blue skies and the sunshine did help from the start. I found Ned's old last year's sandals and as expected they were too small but Ned's comment: "NICE shoes!!" made me laugh. He really likes shoes so I asked him if we should buy some new ones and then go to the beach. Cedric loves shoes too, if he can get a chance he'd happily empty out our shoe cupboard and we always have to make sure it is closed.
So we went and bought new sandals... and some sand toys to keep in the car... I mean, summer isn't far... neither is the beach, and the beach will be visited as often as possible and it is always good to have some toys in the car if the visit to the beach is a rather spontaneous one.
And to the beach we went... my boys digging like little wombats, it was such a joy just to watch them, and although I greatly dislike sand, I even enjoyed playing in the sand with them.
There is a playground right next to the beach, how convenient. So after we finished digging it was the playground. Ced LOVES the tube-slide... watching him giggle and beam while he tries to get down as fast as possible while I try to squeeze my adult-body into this kid-body-size tube-slide makes ones heart glad. Listening to Ned speaking more and more English also makes me glad... even though it makes me laugh as well. There was this other little girl he was playing with and when she left he called after her: "Mylady, come back!!". What a true gentleman, eh????
We love picnics as well, so that's what we did next. We love going to this place with an awesome view over the ocean, just a little walk away.
There are also these two lizards.

I suppose they are used to people having picnics there and because as soon as you get the food out they make an appearance... every time. In fact they seem to recognize us, today one of them tried to nibble on my toes... hmmmm.

There was one little tantrum attempt but it didn't develop into a fully grown tantrum. The evening was fun too. I asked myself why bath times always had to be with the lights on, so we had bath time without the lights on but with light sticks instead. It wasn't yet fully night outside (yeeesssss.... summer IS coming and it is light until 6:30 by now... I miss looooong German summer nights, sigh), so I tried to take some photos... they are a bit blurry...


I love bed time... not only because that means they are tucked away and sleeping, but getting them in bed is quite cute and fun. Ned loves going for a quick trip to the moon just before we read the bible. No idea where he got the idea from, but apparently there is a direct connection from our built-in robe to the moon. So he disappears in it, closes the doors and a couple seconds later he's back (but I guess just like with Narnia, time ticks differently once you're inside the cupboard). After we read the bible he says night night to Cedric which more often than not involves sitting on top of him somehow. And Cedric somehow doesn't approve of that. Then daddy says night night and leaves... and my (almost) most favourite time of the day starts: CUDDLES!! Ned and I snuggle up, sing songs together and cuddle... in the meantime Ced does one of two things: either he throws all his stuffed toy friends out of his bed or gathers them under his arms and snuggles with them.. heart-melting moments. Memories I want to engrave into my brain and heart and never forget... memories I want to remember when I'm mad at them, when they behave maddening... when the day isn't "good".

It was simple day, an ordinary day, but being with my two boys and enjoying each others company has made it extraordinary.

I know I'm biased... but who couldn't love them???



No comments:

Post a Comment