Saying "Good Bye" to the old lady and to our friend there was much harder then I actually thought!! People who know the ships also know the thing I call the "hug chain", were people line up to say good bye to you, and people who know me also know that I really don't like the "hug chain" very much and always tried to avoid it, but somehow this time I almost liked it, because it was the last time ever to do this on the Doulos. I got a tiny bit sentimental the last couple of days, despite really wanting to go home. I walked around and looked around me and thought: "It's the last time I'll do this or that on the Doulos". The last time that Ned plays with his little friends outside on the corridor, the last time eating chicken and rice (which was rather a celebration!!!!!), the last time to eat our meal at a wonky and listing table, the last time taking a shower and all the water goes to the opposite side of the drain because the ship has a portside list, the last time that Ned plays on fun deck.... many last times. Some of those last times are rather a "Yessss!!!! Finally the last time!!" but many other were a bit sad last times, but such is live, we always have to move on and forward, living in the here and now instead of the past or the future.
After a 13h dircet flight from 30°C Singapore humidity and heat to -5°C Frankfurt, I stood in the shower at my parents place and thought about the "deep" things of life, e.g. how strange it is to stand under a hot shower and enjoying the hot water and not wanting to get out of the shower because the rest of the room is a bit chilly, compared to standning under a lukewarm shower and actually wanting it to be a cold shower, but the water is as cold as it gets and once you're out of the shower the heat attacks you again. Life is strange!!!
The flight was really good. The plane was half empty so we claimed another row as our "own" which was SUCH a blessing. The six seat were divided like this: 1 seat for Ben, 2 seats for Ned and 3 seats for Becca:o))) Ben always boasts he can sleep anywhere, well, and I can't so i streched out over my 3 seats and got quite a bit of sleep. Ned also sleep something like 8 or 9h, but unfortunately he also gave a 50 min display of his lunge capacity which pleased neither us nor anyone else:o)
So, God has be so extreemly good to us: we had an direct flight, all our baggage got through okay although it was slightly overweight, Ned slept like a champ, Ben and I also got some sleep and arriving on the other side we were not only greated by over-excited (grand)parents but also with SNOW!!!!!YAY!!!!!! I was praying and hoping we would experient some snow (unfortunately it is melting as I write, but still, we had snow!!!). We also had a very restful first night and none of us really has a jetlag, PTL!!!!!
Unfortunetely I can't do an English spell check on this computer and many keys on a German keyboard are in different spots then on the English keyboard, but I hope I haven't mixed up too many "Y"s and "Z"s :o)))
No comments:
Post a Comment